Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Everything We Loved

I don't want to harp on about New Zealand film makers and their propensity for making gloomy films, but I can't help it.  Everything We Loved just adds another gloomy film to an already cluttered landscape. After Rain and After the Waterfall I no longer want to see films that involve children dying and  had I known that this film's plot hinged on the death of a child I wouldn't have gone. Perhaps I didn't read the programme carefully enough and I definitely should have watched the trailer.

I thought I was going to watch a kind of family mystery with a cleverly unfolding plot. Sadly, it wasn't very far into the movie that I realised that Charlie has abducted a child  to "replace" his own child who died recently. And once I knew that, I knew things could only turn out badly, and they did. The journey wasn't much fun, either.

It's well acted and stylishly shot, and Tommy is a particularly cute child but unless you really like this kind of thing don't put yourself through it

Anne's rating 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment